Napping has been proven to have many benefits, including relaxation and improved mood, and a nap after lunch has additional advantages, according to various research studies.
- Reduced fatigue. A short 20-minute nap after lunch can help prevent daytime drowsiness and can improve productivity.
- Brain power. Research shows that napping is good for your brain. According to studies, people who nodded off for an hour after lunch increased their learning power and ability to absorb new information.
However, according to Livestrong.com, there are certain disadvantages associated with sleeping immediately after eating.
- Heartburn. Taking a nap right after eating can increase stomach acid levels and trigger heartburn.
- Weight gain. While sleeping after eating does not always cause weight gain, it may reduce the body’s ability to burn calories.
- Acid reflux. Lying down right after eating can aggravate acid reflux, a condition that allows stomach acid to back up into your throat causing a burning sensation.
- Stroke. According to a study done at the University of Ioannina Medical School in Greece, sleeping right after a meal can increase the risk of having a stroke.
Bottom line: whatever you decide, the most important thing is to make sure you get an adequate amount of sleep each night. The Luxury Adjustable Pillow System can ensure a comfortable night’s rest, whether you sleep on your side, stomach or back.